Sunday, March 27, 2011

Mangoes, Memories and Me

My usual outings to YouTube is for music. But, recently, I stumbled upon an interesting video on how to slice a mango. That left me a bit nostalgic. For mangoes bring back the memories of a childhood spent climbing trees to pluck the golden fruit.  So, I thought,  before this season draws to a close, I should put down why mangoes tug at me – even if some are priced at over Rs 100 a kg.


Normally, the mango season in India starts with the onset of summer. By May when the mercury soars, vendors in push-carts selling mangoes becomes a common sight across the country. From the street vendors to super markets, mangoes sell like hot cakes.


There are plenty of fruits to pick from, but why is it that I tend to be oddly passionate about the mango?  Is it the taste that leaves me asking for more? Or the many varieties available in the market? Or is it because it brings back the bittersweet memories of childhood?


For me, mangoes are sweet reminders of those carefree days of youth when my cousins used to climb the trees and throw down the ripe fruits. Of those days – when my brothers weren’t around – I used to wait endlessly for the wind to come rustle the branches laden with mangoes. The fond hope that one would break off and fall near me.
We used to feast on mangoes. We used to bite into them and relish the taste, have competitions on who will cut it into neat strips. During the summer there was seldom a day when we did not have a mango dish for lunch and dinner. Though I have forgotten the names of endless dishes my mom and cousins used to make,  the taste lingers.


There are many varieties of mangoes which make you wish that mangoes were not seasonal.  Alphonso, Banganpalli and some local varieties are my favourites.  While you are deciding which one you will buy today, listen to this whacky mango song



No comments: